The coordinator in charge of the Student Patrol unit reports to the division Captain and is responsible for:
- non-hospital security guard operations.
- student employment liaison.
- Student Patrol operations and administration.
- overall control and direction of the section.
The Student Patrol was established in 1980 to act as the "eyes and ears" of the police and to handle routine calls for service. In addition to providing an invaluable service to the University community, the students involved in Student Patrol achieve educational goals by earning money for tuition and gaining valuable work experience.
S.P. members are deployed on walking patrols to observe and report suspicious or criminal activity to the department. In addition, they are responsible for:
- locking and unlocking buildings.
- walking escort of faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
- ID verification of persons requesting access to campus facilities.
- administrative support to administrative staff.
- light surveys
- Assist COPS officers at various events
- Summer hours M-F 630AM -11PM, Fall/Spring hours M-Su 630AM- 11PM
The Student Patrol serves a very important role in the overall mission of the UIC Police Department. Many former S.P. members now serve in the UIC Police and in many other city, county, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.